The beauty of the android operating system is that we could customize it according to our needs. And being a Cyanogenmod user the customizability of your android device could be totally changed. CM New Theme Feature allows us to change the complete look of our CyanogenMod device including icons, widgets, fonts, status bar and many more things. I personally being a user of CM 13 On my Android one device loves the great user experience and modification it provides.
So in this tutorial to change the font in Cyanogenmod 12.1/13, we would be using the App iFont which gives you a vast variety of fonts to use in your CM powered smartphone. Although the New theme engine which is inbuilt in Cyanogenmod has the option to change the theme, but the limitation of theme engine font changing is that you could only change to the new theme which is included in a custom theme that you are installing.
iFont works on all ROM’s including CM12.1/ 13 and stock android ROM. It works both on Root as well as unroot devices. iFont Support Samsung, XiaoMi (MIUI), Meizu, Huawei(Emotion UI) without the need of root. But in some smartphone manufacturers like Htc, Sony, Motorola it needs a rooted access. iFont also allows you to change your system font on per app basis i.e. different font for every app. For this feature, you need to have exposed installed on your rooted device. Haven’t heard about Xposed yet, no worries. Xposed is a framework for modules that could change the functionality and behavior of system apps without touching any System app. If you want to know more about Xposed framework and install in your phone then you could check out this official website about Xposed.
Steps to change font in Cyanogenmod 12.1/13
- Download the iFont app from Google PlayStore. Click here to download
- After installing open the app and it would ask for root access, grant access. if you device is non-rooted you skip this step.
- The main page of the app would show you a list of available Fonts for your device.
- Tap on any of the fonts that you would like to and in the next window the app would show the preview of the font in different sizes. Tap on the download button available below.
- After downloading the font from the Ifont store. Tap on the set option to install the theme on your device. Make sure you have unknown sources option unpick in your security settings.
- After installation, the installed theme will appear in the inbuilt theme center just choose the theme and tap on Apply. That’s all you have successfully changed font in CM 12.1/13
To use custom fonts On per App basis
If you want to use different custom fonts for different apps then you need to download the Xposed module of the iFont which gives you much more customizability than the normal iFont app. To download the iFont Xposed file, you could search for iFont in exposed or go through this link.
If you got any error while changing font in CM 12.1/13 or need any addition info about CM feel free to tell us via the comment box below. We would try to solve your problem, your suggestions and feedback are valuable to us.